When planning construction for a new build residential multi-dwelling unit (MDU) or commercial office space it is important to make sure that design plans adhere to local building codes and ordinances. Every component from electrical wiring down to the plumbing has to be designed within certain specifications; and must operate within specific parameters determined by the local government in which construction is to take place.
The role we play in any project is one of organizer, designer and administrator as we work in tandem with project architects and contractors to design the systems that will implement the mechanical, electrical and plumbing components into their structure according to their desired finished specifications. When you partner with MEP Delta Design we make your project a priority and pay close attention to your project goals. We proactively listen, assess your needs and then develop a strategy to complete your project within budget and on an agreeable timeline. We say partner because that’s exactly what it is, your success is tied to us and ours to yours and we honor that. Our process scope details the role we play and the steps it takes to go from concept to finished project.
MEP Engineering Scope
Upon retaining MEP Delta Design services, the scope of our involvement in your project typically follows this procedural order once the Revit model or Auto CAD files are obtained from the architect:
- Provide national, state code and local amendments code review.
- Preparation of permit and construction documents for MEP systems to comply with code review. We coordinate efforts within the scope of the Architectural layout, structure design, civil utilities, and other teams involved.
- Provide design of mechanical system, complete and throughout. This encompasses HVAC and /or energy calculations, exhaust systems, duct layout, equipment schedule, and any additional required details related to the project.
- Provide design of plumbing system, complete and throughout. This includes domestic hot and cold water systems, sanitary sewer systems, storm water systems, building gas layout, fixture calculations, riser diagrams, fixture and equipment schedule, utility coordination, and required additional details related to the project.
- Provide design calculation of electrical system. This includes incoming service and distribution, power (building and site), basic lighting (building and site, including egress for life safety), load calculations, circuiting (where required by local permitting jurisdiction), meter riser diagram, unit, building, and owner panels and required details. Design includes diagrammatical layout for specialty systems such as phone, security, CCTV and data systems, etc. indicated by Owner’s representative or Architect.
- Coordination of services from all utilities within 5’ of buildings to include electrical and gas, where applicable.
- Provide book specifications.
- Provide required energy conservation calculations for lighting and mechanical with reports, which may include ComCheck and ResCheck compliance forms or compliance with green building standards (Austin Energy Green Building, LEED, Energy Star, etc.; when applicable)
- Review Architect/Owner schedule of drawings and coordinate the amount of documentation to be expected at each phase. Provide necessary deliverables per architects anticipated schedule.
Construction Administration Phase
- Specify and include site visits and reports necessary to verify and confirm conformance with construction documents; as well as provide observations as required.
- Review shop drawings, applicable material submissions and check for compliance with the contract documents. Unless otherwise noted, provide response to submissions within 10 business days during construction.
- Timely responses to RFI and submittal data for quick field or contractor adjustments.
MEP Delta Design: Excellence In The Details
As you can see our scope of work is very detailed and for good reason; we find that success is achieved in perfecting the smallest details. We take every project we sign on to with our reputation in hand and lay it on the line. Our design team takes every single detail into careful consideration to mitigate any disorganization or delays in the process. When you need customized engineering and MEP solutions, you have found the right firm in MEP Delta Design.